RSS Feed

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So what made you want to start getting tattoos?


This is one of the questions I get asked a lot. And honestly, it's a fairly simple answer: Because I think they're beautiful..and behind every tattoo, I know there's a story. Ever since I was a little girl, I've been intrigued by tattoos. I also think growing up with two older brothers who were into Heavy Metal and Rock and Roll, and seeing album (yes, actual LP album) covers and rock stars covered with tattoos added to my fascination. I always wondered: why people got tattoos?, what was the story behind it?, is there a story behind it? Anytime I met someone with a tattoo, I would ask them about it, and I find that I could listen to them and not lose interest in their story.

It wasn't until I was about 21 and I went to Florida with my friends that I decided to get my first tattoo. My friend and I decided, "Yeah, we're in Florida! Let's get a tattoo!" SURE!!! why not? Our search for a tattoo shop was easy because there were so many to choose from. It was a really fun experience.. Quick and very little pain. I had one of my friends draw a "Goddess Symbol" and I got it on the back of my right hip. I remember being so excited and feeling like a "rebel" getting my first tattoo. Once it was done, I felt like such a bad ass! It was great. I remember from that day on, always wanting to wear cute little midriffs to show off my tattoo. I seriously thought I was part of the, what I call, the "tattooed world." But really, what I ended up getting was my "I'm on vacation.. WOO-HOO!" tattoo. I like to call those the "Spring Break" tattoos. Anyways, that'll be a different blog post.

I always knew I wanted more... but I didn't want to just get any old tattoo. I wanted them to be meaningful, and this time I wanted them in a place that can really be seen. It wasn't until 10 years later that I finally knew what I wanted. Having 2 kids, I knew i wanted to get something that represented them. I searched and searched, until I found a Celtic Knot that represented Motherhood. I immediately fell in love with it and had it placed on my left shoulder. I think it was after this second tattoo that my true love for getting tattoos started. And because I'm older and am really knowing who I am as a person, my tattoos are very meaningful, and I put a lot of thought into each one I've had done, and to each one I have yet to get done.

So begins my many stories and thoughts about tattoos... and I have many.


No comments:

Post a Comment